That was the question posed to us by our 8 year old last weekend while we were camping. It seemed she couldn't catch too many frogs (or bugs or fish), or run too many laps around the campsite. She was the 'master fire builder' of the group. It seems that she spent some time this weekend trying to figure out how she "should" act, and what she "should" like. She sees her friends veering in different directions. Some are very 'girly'...they love dancing make-up and dolls and twirly dresses. She adores these things, too. Then, there are her other friends (both boys and girls)who have skinned knees, like to ride their bikes fast, catch fish, camp and play hockey. She adores these things, too. So, she tries to figure it all out.....where does she fit? Should she be more 'girly'? And, if so....what about all of those things that she loves?
It was a fabulous conversation. We told her how great it was that she could do WHATEVER she loved....and how proud of her we are. I told her how fun it was for me to watch her dive at hockey pucks, and that I appreciate that she'll bait my hook when we're fishing. I also told her that she is beautiful in her frilly pink Easter dress, and that I love playing "grandma" to her American Girl doll, listening to her play piano, and doing each others' nails. Whatever she loves seems to suit her perfectly....and I am so in love with who she is, and who she is becoming.
No comments:
Post a Comment