Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Growing Independent


I don't know what is happening, but it seems that David and Greta have grown years rather than months over the summer. They can do ALL THINGS, it seems. David especially has changed drastically. He informed me a couple of weeks ago that he is getting 'too old' for things like 'cheek squeezing', and 'butt pinching' (especially in public), but I didn't have to stop the occasional tickling just yet :-)
He cares about his hair, and I find him glancing at himself more and more in the mirror. He believes he should be wearing deoderant now, too.
My proud moment was last night....he really wanted to mow the lawn. The lawnmower is still a little high for him to push, but he did a great job, and I could see that he was proud of himself. I want to help him grow up to be the kind of person who strives for excellence and pride in his work. I hope this is a start.
The usual "disheveled, unable to concentrate" little boy hasn't shown up for school this year. He is interested, motivated by learing, and it's my dream come true!! It takes him much longer to finish his school day than his sister, but not for the same reasons as last year. Last year he was daydreaming. This year, he is "really into a book", or (today) "wants to make one more molecule out of marshmallows", or "really want to do better on this math quiz" (online).
I used to dread this day....the day when my baby would stand rigid if I hugged or kissed him in public. It's here for sure. But, I am SO proud of them. It hasnt't been terrible at all....it's been wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment