Well, we started today....the first day of school! I wish I could re-create the excitement that I always felt leaving for school that first day. I can't of course....it's just not the same when you're home. But, I think I did OK. We set the alarm for 8:00, went to Purgatory Park for our morning walk (we haven't done that since last school year), the morning was GORGEOUS, and I was organized and well prepared. They even got a couple of books that they hadn't seen before. Greta was 'over the top' excited when she saw her beloved checklist for the day. David started cold....not very excited to dive in again. But, I think my expectations were small today, and he warmed up nicely by the end.
Highlights for me....David reading and not wanting to be interrupted, losing playtime because he couldn't put his book down. I never thought I'd see the day and I was so proud and excited. I hope we can find LOTS of good books to keep him interested and excited about reading.
Another highlight....their excitement about Science. They were glued to my side as we learned about the 'Period Table of Elements' today. I still can't believe it...that was very unexpected for me. I hope their enthusiasm doesn't fade. Also, our walk this morning. In spite of some nasty back pain I'm experiencing right now, I LOVE getting out with them in the morning and starting our day with a walk in the park. Also...their attitudes today. They were enthusiastic, willing to work, and excited to learn. Hooray!
Low point...overscheduling our day. I shouldn't have let it get so long!...especially when I knew that their friends were waiting to play.
Now, I'm off to find a calendar for the wall....have to get all of those hockey practices, field trips, etc...scheduled. Or, we'll all fall apart!
Unfortunately, as school begins, our camping experiences will slow down and end. We had a 3 day weeekend last week at Sibley State Park...absolutely beautiful. This weekend, we'll have another 3 day weekend at St. Croix State Park. Organizing school, the house, and our trips has been tough for me. Especially since my back started hurting so much. But, this should be our last weekend. At this moment, I'm not looking forward to it much....still coming down from last weekend and wondering how I'll get it all done. Hopefully, that will change! So far, we have had a really good time together in that camper....I think we'll spend around 30 nights in it by the time the summer is really over. Wow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment